The Schoolhouse Museum/ Ridgewood
 
The Museum at the Station/ Glen Rock

Located in the historic Erie Main Line Train Station, the Museum at the Station is managed by the Glen Rock Historical & Preservation Society.  Permanent displays on the Erie Railroad and early Glen Rock History are supplemented by changing exhibits throughout the year.

 

Address: 176 Rock Road, Glen Rock, NJ

Opened: the last Sunday of each month, from 1 - 3 pm

Contact: GRHistoricalSociety@gmail.com

The Schoolhouse Museum, maintained by the Ridgewood Historical Society, is housed in a one-room schoolhouse built in 1872.  Exhibits showcase an extensive collection of artifacts and textiles from the Saddle River Valley area.

 

 

Address: 650 E. Glen Avenue, Ridgewood, NJ

Opened: Thursday & Saturday, 1 - 3 pm; Sunday, 2 - 4 pm

Contact: info@RidgewoodHistoricalSociety.org

 

The Mahwah Museum presents on permanent display Les Paul: A Tribute, including many of his iconic guitars.  Another exhibit traces Mahwah's history with an interactive site model, and the Donald Cooper Railroad (an HO model train layout) enthralls all ages.

 

Address: 201 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, NJ

Opened: Wednesdays & weekends, 1 - 4 pm

Contact: www.mahwahmuseum.org

The Hermitage incorporates a stone house that was visited during the Revolutionary War by General George Washington.  It was also the site of the marriage of Aaron Burr and Theodosia Prevost.  The Hermitage is a National Historic Landmark and house museum.

 

Address: 335 N. Franklin Turnpike, Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ

Opened: Guided tours Wed. through Sun., 1:15, 2:15 & 3:15 pm

Contact: www.thehermitage.org

The Mahwah Museum/ Mahwah
 
The Hermitage Museum/ Ho-Ho-Kus

Northwest Bergen History Coalition

 

Our mission is to work collaboratively to foster an appreciation and understanding of Northwest Bergen County and New Jersey history and to encourage both children and adults to come and learn about this history.  Visit the nine sites listed below and support our mission.  http://www.nwbergenhistory.org/

The Van Allen House/ Oakland
The Old Stone House/ Ramsey
The John Fell House/ Allendale
The Hopper-Goetschius House/ Upper Saddle River
The Zabriskie House/ Wyckoff

The Henrick Van Allen House was built in 1748.  General Washinton and his officers stayed at the house on 14 July 1777, when Washington wrote two letters, now on display at the house.  Also on display is a fine collection of local period furniture and artifacts.

 

Address: 3 Franklin Avenue, Oakland, NJ

Opened: visit website for monthly event schedule

Contact: www.OaklandHistoricalSociety.org

The Old Stone House is an early 1700s Dutch Colonial farmhouse.  Period rooms are furnished with local antiques from the 17th and 18th centuries.  The second floor houses a Children's Museum.  Also on site is the restored Jacob May Barn from the 1800s.

 

Address: 538 Island Road, Ramsey, NJ

Opened: visit the website for event schedule

Contact: www.RamseyHistorical.org

The 22-room Colonial Revival John Fell House was home to a Founding Father, a Civil War colonel and a Sunday School that led to the first church in Allendale.  The 2.8 acre site also includes a Gothic Revival Barn, wetlands and a stand of old growth trees.

 

Address: 475 N. Franklin Turnpike, Allendale, NJ

Opened: visit the website for a calendar of events

Contact: www.FellHouse.org

The Dutch stone Hopper-Goetschius house is the centerpiece of a rural farm complex.  Most of the furnishings are original to the house. Included on the property are the outkitchen with beehive oven, smokehouse, privy and Dutch barn.

 

Address: 245 Lake Street, Upper Saddle River, NJ

Opened: every Sunday during July & August, 2 - 4 pm

Contact: www.USRHistoricalSociety.org

The original sandstone structure was built circa 1730; it was greatly expanded by 1824.  During its 280 year history the house has served as a village store, tavern, candy store and ballroom.  The house and furnishings were willed to the township of Wyckoff in 1973.

 

Address: 421 Franklin Avenue, Wyckoff, NJ

Opened: visit the website for openings and group tours

Contact: www.ZabriskieHouseWyckoffNJ.org

Harvey Springstead Signal Tower/
Waldwick
Waldwick Museum of Local History/
Waldwick

Built in 1890 by the New York Lake Erie & Western railroad, the tower was the key to the movement of railroad traffic within the newly created yard facility.  Eventually it also handled the heavy mainline service on the Erie's route between New York and Chicago.

 

Address: 1 Bohnert Place, Waldwick, NJ

Opened: visit the website for openings and group tours

Contact: www.allaboardwaldwick.org

Built in 1887, the Queen Anne style railroad station has recently been brought back to life after an extensive historic restoration.  The museum focuses on local history, with both indoor and outdoor history-related displays.

 

Address: 4 Hewson Avenue, Waldwick, NJ

Opened: visit the website for openings and group tours

Contact: www.waldwickcommunityalliance.org

Special thanks to:

Kristin McGowan

Evan Tryforos

and the GLEN ROCK JAYCEES

 

Header drawing: copyright 1997 by R. James Aber.  Used with permission.

 

Glen Rock Historical and Preservation Society, Inc.

PO Box 581, Glen Rock, NJ 07452

hello@GlenRockHistory.org

 

  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Classic
  • Pinterest Classic

© 2014 by GRHPS.

Proudly created with Wix.com