Photo Slideshows

Please enjoy a trip back in time through photographs from our archives.

The Rock circa 1890
The Rock circa 1890

This is the oldest image we have of our Big Rock

press to zoom
Rock circa 1912
Rock circa 1912

After it was excavated in 1912 and before the World War I memorial plaque was attached in 1921. (Marill postcard collection)

press to zoom
Historic marker 1964
Historic marker 1964

Mabel Hubschmitt and Mayor Allan Murray unveil the sign as part of New Jersey's 300th birthday celebration in 1964. Note the correct spelling of The Rock's Lenape name: pamackapuka.

press to zoom
The Rock circa 1890
The Rock circa 1890

This is the oldest image we have of our Big Rock

press to zoom
The Rock

The Rock in the glen, from which our borough gets its name, was left here approximately 15,000 years ago by the Wisconsin glacier.  It is a "glacial erratic".  Weighing about 590 tons, geologists believe that our granite boulder was brought here by the glacier from the Hudson River Valley in New York State.

Broad Street
Broad Street

Near the intersection with Ackerman Avenue. Note the photographer's shadow in the right corner.

press to zoom
Maple and Hamilton
Maple and Hamilton

Undated (before the "Glen Rock" bushes!)

press to zoom
Marinus Saw Mill, c. 1890
Marinus Saw Mill, c. 1890

The Marinus family saw mill stood along the Diamond Brook (also called Bass Brook) near today's Boulevard.

press to zoom
Broad Street
Broad Street

Near the intersection with Ackerman Avenue. Note the photographer's shadow in the right corner.

press to zoom
Street Scenes

Do you ever wonder what your neighborhood or your house looked like in the past?  These photos from our collection might give you a clue.

All Saints Episcopal Church
All Saints Episcopal Church

1919 postcard. (Marill postcard collection)

press to zoom
Lincoln Avenue A & P
Lincoln Avenue A & P

Nice assortment of 1960s cars in this parking lot!

press to zoom
SmithSinger building
SmithSinger building

The Smith Singer Building was erected in 1912. Most of the important borough activities were held here until the Municipal Building went up in 1928.

press to zoom
All Saints Episcopal Church
All Saints Episcopal Church

1919 postcard. (Marill postcard collection)

press to zoom
Around Town

Check out how things have changed around town over the years since Glen Rock became an independent borough in 1894.

Harding Road Gang
Harding Road Gang

1970 Parade Theme: the Circus Comes to Glen Rock.

press to zoom
Bebe the Berkeley Beast
Bebe the Berkeley Beast

1970 Parade Theme: The Circus Comes to Glen Rock

press to zoom
Harding Road Gang firecracker
Harding Road Gang firecracker

1954 Parade Theme: 60 Years Around the Rock

press to zoom
Harding Road Gang
Harding Road Gang

1970 Parade Theme: the Circus Comes to Glen Rock.

press to zoom
Fourth of July

Glen Rock's I.D.A. (Independence Day Association) was founded in 1939.  Marching bands and fancy floats have been a tradition on July 4th ever since.  For videos of old parades (and the town-wide fair afterwards), please check out our video links in the Gallery.

The unexcavated Rock
The unexcavated Rock

The Rock sits along a dirt Rock Road, circa 1890. The mailboxes belonged to families living on Doremus Aveue.

press to zoom
Albertina Hill Kidd
Albertina Hill Kidd

press to zoom
Scene along the Diamond Brook
Scene along the Diamond Brook

press to zoom
The unexcavated Rock
The unexcavated Rock

The Rock sits along a dirt Rock Road, circa 1890. The mailboxes belonged to families living on Doremus Aveue.

press to zoom
Albertina Hill Kidd Family Album

 

The Kidd family lived in Glen Rock and Ridgewood around the turn of the 20th century.  The photo album contains family scenes of everyday life, from about 1890 to the 1920s.

 

Thanks to the generosity of Albertina's great-great granddaughter, Jeannette Dan, we are able to share some of these photos with you.  

Courter construction crew, c. 1900
Courter construction crew, c. 1900

Adolph Hubschmitt (rear, far right) worked as a carpenter on his brother-in-law George Courter's crew. George Courter is in the front row, far right.

press to zoom
Fannie (Courter) & Adolph Hubschmitt
Fannie (Courter) & Adolph Hubschmitt

Adolph was the 6th mayor of Glen Rock, 1906-1909.

press to zoom
American Legion Post 145 Auxiliary
American Legion Post 145 Auxiliary

Lilly (front, #3 from left), Mabel (front, #4) and Fannie Hubschmitt (front, #6) were all very involved in the Auxiliary. Photo was taken in 1951.

press to zoom
Courter construction crew, c. 1900
Courter construction crew, c. 1900

Adolph Hubschmitt (rear, far right) worked as a carpenter on his brother-in-law George Courter's crew. George Courter is in the front row, far right.

press to zoom
The Hubschmitt Family

 

The Hubschmitt family - Adolph, wife Fannie, and children George, Lilly and Mabel - were early residents of Glen Rock.  All were incredibly civic minded, holding positions of prominence in local government and organizations, including the Fire Department, the American Legion, the American Legion Auxiliary and the Community Church. The Historical Society is privileged to have many of the historic papers, photos and memorabilia that were collected by the Hubschmitts.